Stop Calls and Letters From a Debt Collector
This sample letter will help you dispute fraudulent charges and permanently stop calls and letters from a debt collector. The text in brackets indicates where you must customize the letter.
Remember to include copies of the applicable enclosures and save copies for your files.
[Your city, state, zip code]
[Name of credit collection company]
[City, state, zip code]
Re: [Your account number]
Dear Sir or Madam:
I am a victim of identity theft. An identity thief used my personal information without my permission to open an account and make purchases with [name of business where account was opened]. This debt is not mine. I have enclosed proof of my identity and a copy of my Identity Theft Report.
In accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I am asking you to stop collection proceedings against me and stop communicating with me about this debt, except as the Fair Credit Reporting Act allows. I also ask that you notify [the business where the account was opened] and tell them the debt is the result of identity theft.
[Provide details about what happened. Include the dates and amounts of fraudulent transactions.]
I have enclosed a copy of the Federal Trade Commission’s Notice to Furnishers of Information. It explains your responsibilities under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The FCRA requires that debt collectors give an identity theft victim documents related to an account if the victim asks. Please send me copies of all records relating to the account, including:
- Account applications made on paper, online, or by telephone
- Account statements or invoices
- Records of payment or charge slips
- Delivery addresses associated with the account
- Records of phone numbers used to activate or access the account
- Signatures on applications and accounts
- Investigators report
Please send me a letter explaining what you have done to:
- Inform [business where the account was opened] that the debt is the result of identity theft
- Stop collection proceedings against me
- Stop reporting information about the debt to credit reporting companies
- Provide me with the records I request
Thank you for your cooperation.