You are here

How to File a Complaint: Health Information for Older People

Share this page

The key to an effective consumer complaint is knowing where — and when — to file it. Have you given the company a chance to fix the problem? Often, a brief letter explaining what happened and what you hope the company will do can make a difference. But if the company won’t right a wrong, or if you suspect fraud, it’s time to file a complaint.

If your complaint is about a health product or service, you may want to contact one of the organizations below. But first, make sure you have important information on hand, like the name and address of the company.

Report Your Complaint

Filing a complaint won’t guarantee your problem gets fixed, but it can help build a case against a business later. For example, while the FTC can’t help individual consumers, its complaint database is a resource for law enforcement agencies all over the U.S. and abroad.

For deceptive business practices or other types of consumer fraud:

For problems with a medication or medical device:

For scams and suspicious activity involving Medicare:

  • HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG) — Call the OIG’s fraud hotline at 1-800-447-8477 (TTY: 1-800-377-4950).
  • FTC — or call 1-877-382-4357 (TTY: 1-866-653-4261)

For fraud or abuse related to a Medicare Part D prescription drug plan:

  • Medicare Drug Integrity Contractors (MEDICs) — Call 1-877-772-3379

For help with a complaint about a long-term care facility:

For suspected elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation: