You are here

3 ways to use Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week to help people in your life

Share this page

Looking for a practical way to help friends, family, and your community? We’ve got one: warn them about tax identity theft and IRS imposters.

This week is Tax Identity Theft Awareness Week — and a good time to think about what you can do. Here are three ideas to get you started:

IRS Imposter Scams

IRS Imposter Scams

  1. Send your friends and family a blog post about tax identity theft and IRS imposters. Tax identity theft happens when someone uses your Social Security number to get a tax refund or a job. IRS imposters are scammers who call you up pretending to be the IRS and try to convince you to send money now. Encourage people you know to file their taxes as soon as they can before a scammer beats them to it. You’ll find what you need at
  1. Add some daily tips in your company or neighborhood newsletter.
  1. Spread the word to organizations you’re involved with, whether it’s writing to your local newspaper, posting on blogs or other online communities, or tweeting about it.

Want to sharpen your expertise? The FTC, AARP, and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration will be hosting a tax identity theft webinar tomorrow — Tuesday, Jan. 27th — from 2:00-3:30 EST. You’ll find all the info you need to join at (just scroll down). It’s free and open to everyone.


I have a very real problem with the IRS's State i am living to,the tax exemption or used a specific form to sale your personal belonging,for example you get a car for your personal used,if you get problem and you want to resale it,you have to file a non retailer use sale.Othewise you need to file a RUT-50 form.I might be wrong,correct me if you can,these are for retailers business man.I am in collection for failing to pay for so called non retailer use sale tax.

Are you talking about filling your State Tax Return? Is your problem with your State's Department of Revenue? I believe each State has their own forms, and their own Income Tax Laws as well as some that do not require to file Income Tax Returns, because they do not require a State Income Tax to be deducted from your paycheck. I believe you should be asking your question from someone familiar with your State's Tax Laws. The IRS is Internal Revenue Service (Federal Income Tax Return only)


If tax identity theft has happened to you, contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490. For more on tax identity theft, go to and

Leave a Comment