You are here

Is your information being used for job-related ID theft?

Share this page

Has your Social Security Number (SSN) gone to work without you? If someone has used your SSN to get a job, that’s identity theft.

You may be able to discover the identity theft before the IRS sends you a tax bill for income that never passed through your pockets. MyE-Verify, a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) website, also available in Spanish, is part of E-Verify. DHS created E-Verify to help employers check government records to make sure their employees can work legally in the U.S. MyE-Verify lets you see all the employers that checked your records using E-Verify. If you see an employer you don’t know, it may mean that an identity thief is at work.

MyE-Verify won’t catch all cases of job-related identity theft because not all employers use E-Verify. Still, DHS says about 600,000 employers at over 2 million hiring sites use E-Verify. That covers a lot of jobs.

To access myE-Verify, you’ll need to answer some questions online to confirm your identity. If you have a credit freeze or fraud alert on your credit report, you’ll have to lift them before myE-Verify can access your information. You can restore your credit freeze or place a new 90-day alert on your report afterwards, but you may not be able to reinstate an extended fraud alert. You may have to pay a fee to lift or restore your credit freeze.

Once you access myE-Verify, you can create a secure personal account and use myE-Verify’s “Case History” and “Self Lock” features. “Case History” lets you see the names and dates any employer used E-Verify to check your records. “Self Lock” offers another protection – it lets you “lock” your SSN for one year so an imposter can’t use it to get a job with an employer that uses E-Verify. You can lift the lock at any time, or renew the lock when it’s set to expire.

If you believe you have been the victim of identity theft, visit, the federal government’s one-stop resource to help you report and recover from identity theft.


Would the FBI- have access to this information?

Great information FTC

ok, I have a credit freeze in place and would have to lift it to check e verify. Wouldn't I have to lift it as well to have a prospective employer view my records. I can't even open a bank account without lifting it.

Yes. A freeze remains in place until you ask the credit reporting company to temporarily lift it or remove it altogether. A credit reporting company must lift a freeze no later than three business days after getting your request. The cost to lift a freeze varies by state.

If you opt for a temporary lift because you are applying for credit or a job, and you can find out which credit reporting company the business will contact for your file, you can save some money by lifting the freeze only at that particular company.

I need to protect my self. I am a victim of idenity theft sense 2002 and i found out in 2012 that someone is using my information at a job in texas. I got rob at gun point by 5 men they put the gun to my neck it was a 38 pinner i saw it they said to me give me your purse i gave it to them and they went running off. Im just glad they did not do worse things to me. I had everything in that purse my life.

You can find information about how to handle different kinds of identity theft at There's information about contacting the credit bureuas, getting copies of your credit report and how to correct accounts that are affected by the theft.

Please make sure I get everything back in order. And my money back from Excella card. I need for someone to look in to this. And stop those that hacking into to my gmail. Make sure no one use in my information. And Creadit. Thank you.

we did not E - verity number for employee department till now why

we did not get funds till now.please check this message and mail to by inbox

More than one person has been using my name or social security,I've only worked two jobs in life .

You can get help recovering from identity theft at You can file a report, and give details about what happened. You will get a personal recovery plan and letters to send to credit reporting agencies and businesses to correct problems caused by identity theft. 

If someone used your name or social security number to file taxes, you can report that on

If your. My E-verify so good then how did she get a account with you if she not me.I am a victim of identity theft and she has a account now I've call you guy a lot of times and I can't seen to get anyone. who do I talk to to get this person out of my life she using my name my sis I can't do anything I hate it I want my life back where can I get the help I need to fix this.!!!!!!!

You can report identity theft at Go to the website to tell what the other person is doing with your information. You can create a report to law enforcement that will help you fix problems.

I just wonder if someone manipulates your name and b day but uses you with other things for employments. To the original persons get the tax credits

If someone used your personal information to get a tax refund, that is tax identity theft. You can report that at

What if the employer or owner of the business is also in on the identity fraud

I believe someone is using my cell phone number for job applications. I've been receiving follow up text and voicemail notifications from employers. Is there any information on this type of activity?

Leave a Comment