You are here

Getting your money back from Western Union

Share this page

Did you lose money to a scammer who had you pay using Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017? If so, you can now ask for your money back – and you have until February 12, 2018 to file your claim.

Earlier this year, we told you about the FTC’s settlement with Western Union, which agreed to return $586 million to people to settle the FTC’s charges that Western Union hadn’t adequately protected people from fraud, and didn’t properly discipline problem agents.

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) is handling the refunds – or “remission,” as they call it. Here’s what you need to know:

  • If you already reported your fraud loss to Western Union, the FTC, or another government agency, you might get a claim form in the mail. The forms were just mailed today and will come from Gilardi & Co, which is the company DOJ hired to handle the claims. You can file your claim online – just use the Claim ID and the PIN that are on the form you get in the mail.
  • If you didn’t already report your loss, or you don't get a claim form in the mail, go online to file your claim. Start at to get to the claims website.
  • If you’re putting in a new claim, or changing the pre-filled amount on the claim form you got in the mail, you’ll be asked for documentation. Upload – or send copies of – the receipts or transfer send forms you have, and give as many details as you can remember about the transfer. If you don’t have documentation, you can still complete the form and give as much information as you have. DOJ will use the information you give them to try to validate your Western Union money transfer.
  • The claim forms ask for your Social Security number (SSN). That’s because, before they can send you a check, DOJ is required to see whether you owe money to the US government. For that they need your SSN. That’s why we’re suggesting filing your claim on the secure website.

You do not have to pay to get your money back. Don’t pay anyone who says they can file a claim for you. And nobody will ever call you to ask for your bank account or credit card number. It’s free to file your claim form, and you can only do it online or by mail. Find the claim form and the only real address that accepts claims at

And then: patience. It will take DOJ up to a year to validate all the claims it gets and return money to people. Check for updates.

Infographic of ghow to get a refund from Western Union


Thank you for the information! I lost $3,500.00 via a scammer and used Western Union as the transfer agent.

still I am not get commission

Yes I am going through the same thing

I'll try to collect and send monitory information from my email record previosly they were sending some money details but now they don't indicate amount.
I also have some claims PayPal I'll prepare their mail list also under their name.
But I think it will take some time I'm sure you will allow the delay. More over I'm not a IT expert I cannot open a blog. After completion I'll send my claims by a separate email.

Do not send your information here. Go to to start the process of filing your claim.

You must file a claim by February 12, 2018.

Hi Bridget, Are you sure he don't need to set up a blog to file a claim for a refund? :) I've been reading through these comments, some are funny, some are sad. It looks like you have been doing a good job, Thanks.

I lost nearly $1000. and WU did nothing to help me.

If you lost money to a scammer between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017 and you paid by Western Union, you can file a claim to get money back. You must file a claim by February 12, 2018. Go to to start the process.

bona fide Thanks

I'm not involved in this settlement but I thank the FTC for catching these criminals and DOJ for forcing them to pay up. A Bronx cheer goes to Western Union for their negligence and greed. For decades they charged usurious rates to military members, immigrants, and transient workers while claiming to offer a valuable service. Valuable to them, that is.

I lost over 100k. FBI has every copy of receipts and western unio document. Can’t wait.

I've lost over the same amount and my house. My problem with the FBI is they have been infiltrated in the same affairs. Why is it the the DOJ that's been hired to retrieve the funds that many has lost has to be checked before funds can be returned to the sender, to see if you owe the the government? That's a catch 22. This sounds like some amnesty program just for the government can tax on our funds.

The Department of Justice is administering the refund process. If your claim is approved, it must be reviewed by the Treasury Offset Program to verify that you do not owe any money to the federal government or certain state debts. If you owe money, your payment will be used to pay your debt. If your payment is more than the amount you owe, you will get the remainder.

I'm assuming if you owe irs taxes. Its going too just go there???

I lost over $500,000 reported to FBI & govt website. They don’t care. Tried to follow up with the FBI. NO RESPONSE. It’s been three years now. I have a $40,000 + claim with WU. Let’s see how that goes.

Am so happy have received my money they scammed me in 2012, in 2018 l got a letter through the mail to file and claim the money l send through western union to a scammer in 2012 and l thought it was a lie so l called western union to find out if it true because they are asking for my SSN and was skeptical about it. WU gave me the green light and two years later have got my money, am so happy. Thanks to the lawyers and everybody who supported this claim.

This is now Dec. 2020. My family has had substantial losses through Western Union. I submitted everything via the instructions several years ago. Twice western union remission has asked me to supply info to back my claim. I obliged. Now the remission co. is asking for more information and Western Union will not give me what I need. They’re saying the cannot go back past five (5) years and most of these claims are from 2008-2010. What gives? Also the reconsideration request isn’t working on the remission site. Anyone else encountered these issues? Thanks

That goes for me too. Thank you FBI and Western Union. Y'all get right on that. I've been waiting 2 years to hear this.

I also lost money during a scam. I hope I can recover some or all my money.

Hi i have lost 400 on the 3rd of nov to a scam pls help me get my money bk it was for my bills in he told me he work for western union in tht he can double my money so i send 400 in he took my money pls help me get it bk think u in have a bless day

If you lost money in November 2017, the refunds do not apply.

You can report the scam to the FTC at and to the Western Union Fraud Hotline at 800-448-1492.

Is there a similar process for claiming losses to scammers when MoneyGram was used to send money?


Can a bank that suffered a loss when a customer was scammed file a claim?

Banks are not eligible for refunds under the global settlement between Western Union and the FTC and Department of Justice.

What if they use ur bank information, withdrew the money from account,and use western to transfer the money?

I don't understand your question.

If you used Western Union to send money to a scammer, and you sent the money between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, you can file a claim to get some money back. 

You have to file your claim and submit it by February 12, 2018. Learn how to file a claim at

When you are on, click on the button that says "I lost money but did not get a claim form." That will take you to the site where you can file your claim.

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa. I've called Western Union this morning and was told all these articles are yet another scam. Where do I get a claim form, please?

This information from the US Federal Trade Commission is not a scam. You can read about refunds at

If you lost money to a scammer between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017 and you paid by Western Union, you can file a claim to get money back. You must file a claim by February 12, 2018.


Go to to start the process.


The Frequently Asked Questions on the refund site say:

  • You are not required to be a United States citizen or in the United States to file a petition.
  • All wire transfers within and outside of the United States made through Western Union between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, may be eligible for remission.

I was scammed during the timeframe listed. I filed a report on FTC when it all happened, but this was years ago so I no longer have any documentation or even the email account to retrieve the information. Is there a way I can search for the report I filed? I submitted all the documents when I filed the report. Please advise on what I can do to recover some of my funds back. Thank you.

I would call the FTC and talk to someone directly and ask your question. 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

I filed a complaint back in June this year about the scammers using WU that took me for $1325.00 for a yorkie that I never received. I was even on the news about the scam. I have a ref# will I get a file to claim form.

If you get a pre-filled claim form, you can go to to start the process. If you don't get a pre-filled form, you can start the process at too.


You must file a claim by February 12, 2018. Get more information at

I was on news also and lost money with about a Yorkie. Apparently Western Union knew this because they sent me the info on getting it back. Haven't heard anything yet. That was 6 weeks ago.

If you received a pre-filled claim form by postal mail, you must respond if you want to ask for a refund. You must file a claim by February 12, 2018.

The pre-filled claim form shows your Claim ID and PIN. Use your Claim ID and PIN to file your claim online at

I said send me by western union but not send

I have received false advertising I have my summary I get SSI I was charged $100 I have received checks have copies of were they were sent from what should I do .so much false advertising misleading . suggestions

If you lost money to a scammer between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, and you paid by Western Union, you can now ask for your money back. You must file your claim by February 12, 2018. Go to to start the process. You have to file a claim by February 12, 2018.

I don't like thstvyiu have to give SS# that will stop me from doing this .:(

It's good to be careful about sharing your Social Security number. In this situation, the US Department of Justice needs your Social Security number when you apply for a refund. Read about it on

Before sending you a refund, DOJ must check with the Treasury Offset Program to verify that you don't owe any money to the federal government. It needs your Social Security number to do that. If you owe money, your refund amount could be reduced by the amount you owe.

Yeah the money is not for us they're just using I debt to pay theirs meaning they want your social security number to see if you owe money which they can then use to pay their debt

I was scammed but I never told or filed a complaint so I guess I'm still lost out. It's good that their cracking down on these crooks.

If you lost money to a scammer between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017, and you paid by Western Union, you can now ask for your money back.

You must file your claim by February 12, 2018. Go to to start the process. You have to file a claim by February 12, 2018.

You can file a claim now, even if you didn't file a complaint in the past.

My parents are elderly. Can their attorney submit a claim form for them? If so, what special documents or information would you need in order that their attorney could submit the claim on their behalf?

Yes, your parents' attorney can submit a claim for them if:

  • your parents sign documents saying the attorney represents them, AND
  • the documents say your parents give the attorney permission to file the claim for them, AND
  • the claim form shows your parents' Social Security numbers, not the attorney's.

 The remission claim website has frequently asked questions. Question #13 is about attorneys filing on behalf of clients, and gives the answer I'm giving you.

You must file your claim by February 12, 2018.

How am I able to file a claim when I don't know the Wester Union Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)? It seems to be a required field in the Gerald & Co form... thx

If you lost money to a scammer between January 1, 2004 and January 19, 2017 and you paid by Western Union, you can file a claim to get money back.

You can file a claim if you don't have documents related to the money transfer. Give as many details as you remember. The claim form also asks the amount of money sent, the date it was sent, the city and state it was sent from, and the country it was sent to.  

You must file a claim by February 12, 2018. Go to to start the process.

I got mail about getting a refund for money that I had been scammed for, it's for the Western Union remission, basically they are paying back people who were scammed thru WU in abt the last 15 years.

The paper had a claim # and a PIN # or ID # but someone ripped off the PIN and claim # from the paper so now I can't enter them in on which asks for your claim # and PIN #. So now i have to file documents in order to get info about the transaction, and the money transfer control number which are all needed in case you don't have ur claim # or PIN ID #. so basically is there any way for me to find out what was the PIN ID # on that paper that was ripped in the mail? I do have the claim # as it was written in another place on the paper so is there any way to file the petition without all the info like MTCN and date of transaction or better yet to get a new letter from whoever sent me that mail, or any other ideas?

You could call the company that is managing the process for the Department of Justice: Gilardi & Co, LLC: 844-319-2124

Thanks I called and they sent me a new one


Leave a Comment