You are here

Economic impact payment fix for 50,000 eligible spouses

Share this page

Are you married to someone who owes past-due child support? Was your portion of the economic impact payment (“EIP”) mistakenly applied to pay your spouse’s debt? If so, you’re not alone. In mid-September, the IRS will automatically send “catch-up” payments to eligible spouses whose EIP was diverted to pay their spouses’ child support obligations.

According to the IRS, spouses who already filed “Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation” with their federal income tax return will automatically get their EIP portion in mid-September. If your EIP was diverted for child support, but you didn’t file this form with your tax return, you’re still in luck. You don’t need to file the form, and the IRS will be sending your EIP portion automatically at a later date.

In the meantime, remember:

  • You don’t need to do anything to get your money. The IRS will begin making direct deposits and mailing payments starting in mid-September.
  • The IRS won’t contact you about your payment. If someone does, it could be scam. Get the FTC’s latest information about Coronavirus scams at
  • To check the status of your payment, always start with the official IRS website at
Blog Topics: 
Money & Credit


If I have minor children but my Impact Payment was taken to be applied to disputed child support arrears in which the collection state (where I live) has refused to collect on because of the errors from the issuing state (child support origination order state), then how can I prevent this as that child support order is for a deceased adult as I have minor children to support and the minor children's mother is entitled?

This is GREAT NEWS! I sure can use the extra money about now!

Leave a Comment